Monday, March 10, 2008

Grandpa Jack

Photobucket

To all 5 readers who have probably stopped tuning in due to my lack of blog posts, I apologize. The past month has been a bit hectic and busy. In February I flew up to the Bay Area to be with my family for the last week of my grandfather's life, which was an honor to be present at. The following weeks were spent taking care of family members and flying back for funeral and memorials. Going through my grandfather's death was definitely a learning experience as I have never been witnessed someone go through the process of dying before. It was really hard to watch my grandfather be in tremendous pain and suffering, but although it was hard, there were little bits of wonderful that shined through. For example the last few days of his life, he became completely despondent and stopped talking. One of the days I was in the hospital, he didn't talk all day but at one point grabbed my hand pulled me to him and whispered "I love you" followed by a long pause and then said "so much." It was heartbreaking and wonderful. Just by hearing him say that, it made the pain of being there even more bearable.

Anyway, not that I want to go on and on telling sad stories, but long story short...It was an incredibly humbling experience, that made me want to savor every minute of time I have on this planet. It also (once again) put into perspective what's really important which is family and friends and health.

Much more happy/funny stories to come in the coming months I promise. :)

1 comment:

momjeans said...

this is so beautiful. i know exactly what you mean about the bits of wonderful. god bless your grandfather...